Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Day 80...I am cooking for myself now!!

Day 80...I am cooking for myself now!!

I knew that one day I needed to cancel my food delivery program and start developing a healthy relationship with food. Food is a source of energy, nutrition, and learning to respect its purpose was going to be very important on this journey. When I tell you that I went weeks without even drinking water.....only soda, and months without eating raw or whole foods, I am not exaggerating. The only reason I had something fresh or raw was because I craved it. Weeks or months eating processed, high sodium foods, definitely had me craving salads every once in awhile. I literally gave into every craving and the only reason I can think of why I did was because I had LOST HOPE. I was getting older and I was SO overweight!! Food provided friendship and pleasure. When I lost hope, I stopped caring. I was, and am still struggling with the all or nothing mentality. I never cared what went into my body. If it tasted good, regardless of GMO's, gluten, bad fat, high calorie, non-nutritional, or processed, I ate it, and I always washed it down with regular Coke or Pepsi. Heavy sigh.....the food delivery program was great for me because everything was portioned out and I knew it was fresh and how many calories were in it. When I started talking to my trainer about my slow weight loss, he put me in touch with a nutritionist he recommended. I was VERY reluctant. I have listened to nutritionists before and I agree with everything they say but I was afraid!!!  I don't know why.....laziness, not sure how to cook, afraid it wouldn't work???......I am not sure. My meal plan was working for me, it was just a slower weight loss initially than I was use to BUT I was still losing weight.

I am about to give you a lengthy play by play account of what happened next to show you just how challenging this change was for me.

So...,I ended up meeting with the nutritionist for a consult about three weeks ago. I liked what he had to say but again was very hesitant to make a change. We talked about a slow transition into preparing breakfast and lunches and having my dinners still delivered. I was open to new ideas but I was not sure this was the right time for me. I was still only a few months into my journey. Was I ready for such a drastic change?????  Part of the nutritionist's program, is to walk the grocery store with you. We spent two hours walking down every isle, while he educated me and discussed meal ideas. He also listened to my taste preferences. We came up with some great ideas and I bought all sorts of good stuff. We went home and he helped me prep a smoothie that could be breakfast and/or lunch. He helped me prep a lunch that was super tasty. We planned out dinners, more lunches and breakfasts. He is so knowledgeable. A couple days later, I was still eating the last few days of the meal delivery plan and I also had not officially canceled it. I was still SO SCARED!! I ended up going one more week with the delivery program because it was safe. I am now happy to report that I have been eating, buying, and preparing/cooking my own foods for over a week. Thank you very much Scott!! I hope in the next few weeks I am thanking you more. But for now, since I have only been eating this way for a little over a week, I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. Here is a picture of a breakfast smoothie, a collard green wrap for lunch, a stir fry mix for dinner and a trail mix Scott put together for snack. He says a healthy supply of good fats throughout the day helps to train the body to burn fat. I have a lot of fat, so....Burn Baby Burn!!!! Ha ha ha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment