Thursday, January 22, 2015

Day 110...TeamTracy ROLL CALL!! Scott.

Day 110....TeamTracy ROLL CALL!! Scott.

The last part of TeamTracy is probably the most important. Although there is one honorable mention but I don't think an entire blog should be dedicated to it, and that is.....my SUPPORTIVE athletic wear!!  Ha ha ha!!! Thank you "sports bra" for being a part of TeamTracy!!

Ok, back to being serious....the most important part of this journey is my relationship with FOOD...., or rather, nutrition. I really feel this is the "FRONT LINES" of this weight-loss battle. Working with Adam (my fitness trainer) over the last 10 years off and on, he knows that this was one aspect that I am struggling with the most. He has been trying to connect me with different people or ideas for so long. Each time or person......it just doesn't last. It has nothing to do with them but me. Maybe I was not ready or I didn't connect or whatever the reason may be....it just didn't stick. Well......enter Scott. I was skeptical, of course, as I always am when Adam recommends another potential team member for me. Adam NEVER gives up on me!!! But I never want to give up and I always want to be open to new ways of thinking. Fast forward a couple meetings with Scott, a couple personalized shopping trips, a cooking lesson, all while being educated on the nutrition. I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!!!! Scott is a phenomenal nutritionist, coach, athletic trainer, paddle board trainer, cold-pressed juice owner, all things health and the emodiment of LOVE......kind of guy!!! I am sold and ready to listen long term; however, Scott has his hands full because I am constantly being challenged with my old ways of thinking (which obviously got me no where but somehow still seem to creep up). Each time this occurs, Scott finds the patience, understanding, reasoning and finesses the conversation back to loving and respecting my body. I have such a strong will and I have NEVER been challenged like this. But this is exactly what I needed...breaking down the mental cloak of..."I got this....when really, I don't."

I have read things that say "The Losing Weight Battle is fought 80% in the kitchen and 20% in the gym.....or.....100% in the kitchen and the gym only expedites and increases the rate at which you lose weight"....but I feel this battle is fought 100% in my head....., and food/nutrition and exercise are just TOOLS. The relationship I have created "mentally" around food and its sole purpose is where my battle...my "Front Lines" is being waged. I enjoy ALL food!! Yeah,... I tend to gravitate towards high fat, sugar, processed, carbohydrate foods but I also REALLY enjoy whole/natural foods too. I really don't discriminate. Any time I have tried to lose weight, I put more focus on eating healthier, but I always struggle with portion size. For instance, I know a better option was a Subway sandwich verses a McDonald's cheeseburger but I would be able to eat 2 full footlongs in one sitting. The FULL feeling is sometimes what I think I am addicted to. When I eat, sometimes I get full on a small portion and other times I feel like there is not enough food in the world to fill me up. I literally reflect back on some meals and think....."How could I have eaten that much FOOD, where did it all fit?!"  Many times my food binges are planned because that "full" feeling is so powerful, that I need to be able to lay down, sleep or watch TV, etc., basically a place that is away from people, responsibility, and there is nothing I have to do or somewhere I have to be for the next couple hours. I also obsessed about food. It would haunt my dreams, it would be the first thing I thought about when I woke up, and many times throughout the day. I never liked the "full" feeling at work, so often times I would have a bag of chips, cookies and some sort of snack from Starbucks at work with me to keep me somewhat satisfied or I would just drink soda or coffee, which kept me from feeling hungry. Then on my way home, I would stop at the grocery store and prepare for a binge.

I understand that there are so many "gimmicks" out there and TOO much information to confuse us all about Diet and Nutirition. Believe me, I am one of those people that gets super overwhelmed with all the information out there. I am ALL or NOTHING!! So when I am making the commitment to be healthy then ALL supposed "Healthy" things come into hyper-focus.  I find myself getting paralyzed with anxiety about how, when, how much, why, what...TO EAT!!!! Some health experts even think this is the purpose...to keep us guessing ALL THE TIME!!  I am honestly starting to agree with them.  The food industry is a Zillion Dollar industry and money is power and controlling. Scott is teaching me so much about the importance of nutrition...not just about what is healthy and what is not, but what foods to eat together and what foods should be eaten alone.  I am also learning that food is to be appreciated and rewarding for your body.  I have heard the saying, "Food is fuel, not therapy." That is a great saying and to take it many, many steps forward......food is your expression of love to your mind, body and soul. Every morsel and bite is a way of nourishing every fiber and cell in your body.  Loving yourself from the inside out is what Scott is teaching me. I am no longer treating my body like a garbage disposal. I was slowing dying from all the toxins I was eating. "I am so sorry BODY, I really do love you," and I am learning more and more everyday to treat my body with LOVE and KINDNESS. However, this is where the mental aspect can rear its ugly head. I can be feeling so good about myself and also be fragile enough where something can make me want to medicate myself with food. I believe this to be the HARDEST aspect of this journey. I no longer want my knee-jerk reaction to be to reach for bad food to help me through those feelings. I have been working with Scott for just over a month now and already I feel transformed. I also know that nutrition shouldn't be difficult to understand. We all know that a better option is an apple over a bag of Cheetos, but what I am learning and was NEEDING to learn....was counting calories and weighing food wasn't necessary and if we all think about it...that is not sustainable...who wants to be doing that all the time.  The true lesson has been to understand food and its importance to our HEALTH. For instance, most of our bodies are running on the fuel source of sugar and I am training my body to start using fat as its main fuel source. Now this sounds like the low-carb, ketosis, no sugar kind of diet we have been hearing about and that may be...however, I am also learning that protien does not have to come from animals, it can come from plant based foods like broccoli. I can't believe how much protein broccoli has!! I know I have a long ways to go but I look forward to absorbing everything he has to teach me. Thank you so much Scott!!

Contact info:

Fitness Rangers, Adam Attia and Scott Estrada: 916.739.1100

Scott Estrada
Fitness. Nutrition. Stand Up Paddle.Lifestyle
916.541.0813
www.riseup.com
Bringing the best 100% organic cold-pressed juices, tonics and artisan nut/seed milks directly to where you live, work, and play!!
#bewholehearted
www.wholeheartedjuice.com

No comments:

Post a Comment