Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Day 39.....I started small.

Day 39....Start small.

I have been asked how and what I did to start this journey as far as exercise. When you have this much weight on your body and joints, the act of standing up unassisted is incredibly hard. How could I even consider getting on a treadmill for hours or participate in an exercise class, etc.???!!! I became so sedentary that I lost so much muscle accompanied by an exponential amount of weight added each year. My body atrophied. As a teacher, you generally stand up in front of the class, walk around helping students, walking down the halls, and doing yard duty of some kind. I was getting to a point where I was becoming increasingly embarrassed that I could not hold a casual conversation with someone without sweating and desperately looking for something to lean on or sit on. I couldn't even sit in the student desks. A few years ago I started to workout. My trainer said to make a daily appointment with myself and don't break it. It is your commitment to yourself, similar to your job. He told me to start small, even if it is just changing into your workout clothes, driving to the gym and walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes. You could even take a walk outside for 10 minutes. But each week add more minutes and another one or two exercises, like modified wall push-ups and squats. No matter what, your first few weeks will SUCK!!! You will want to die!! Ha ha ha!! However, after a bit, you will start to feel stronger. Nobody ever says they hate the way they feel after working out. It is the hard work and uncomfortableness before and during the workout that can be a struggle. Whatever you do, make a commitment to yourself everday that honors your goals because you are worth it. Start small and continue to challenge yourself. You help me so much by reading these blogs, I would do anything to help others too.



No comments:

Post a Comment