Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 156....Dad's still my #1 workout buddy!!

Day 156....Dad's still my #1 workout buddy!!

My dad has been so supportive throughout this journey and not just since I took it public. He has been there whenever I needed someone to go walk/run with or to the gym. My whole family has been supportive but dad has always been the one to exercise with me. We have not always had the best relationship. I grew up athletic and naturally fit. He has always had a competitive nature and I inherited it. If I wasn't the best, he would work with me till I was. I remember my first time doing my dad's "Bootcamp." It was the summer before my 6th grade year and I wanted to be faster on my swim team. So dad I trained and I ended up "high point" that year in my age group for swimming....trophy and all. Later on, I am not sure if it was boys, or challenging school work, hormones or etc., but during high school, I lost my competitive edge with sports. I never really felt like I belonged in high school. I had friends but I don't feel I ever really connected and I felt incredibly awkward. Because of that, I lost my focus and self-confidence and fell into the trap of dieting. Instead, I should have just stayed in sports where you have a built-in network of friends and you stay focused on school work. Heavy sigh.......Never mind the past......that never helps. Anyway, my relationship with my dad changed around this time, in my opinion. I was no longer really into sports. Instead I was lost and experimenting with boys, cool kid groups, alcohol, etc. After high school, I attempted junior college a couple times before I really took it seriously. This is the time when I was starting to gain a little bit of weight. Fast forward a bit.....Dad and I never really found our stride and our relationship seemed changed forever...still wonderful and loving, but just different. Especially, when I hit the alarming 400+ pounds. He was so afraid for me to be living on my own.....because he feared one day soon, I would die and they would have to cut me out of my house because I had become so large. I started to feel that my dad's love was conditional..... only if I was the best, skinny, a polite young lady, etc., would he truly love and accept me. Of course dad loved me with all his heart during this time. Those are thoughts of a young and immature girl. My dad was not given a manual on how to raise a girl. He did the best he could. Our relationship today is strong and pure love. He deserves to see me happy, independent, successful, married, and starting my own life. Both my parents deserve that. They sacrificed so much for their children. I am happy to report that my dad has been retired for almost three years and he said he started to put on weight. Since working out with me the last five months, he is healthy and staying active and losing that bit of retirement weight. I love you dad!!!❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment